Courtesy of Elizabeth!
Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
(Gluten-free, sugar-free, dairy-free, definitely not meat-free)
- ~4 pounds chicken breast, boneless skinless
- 1 can salsa of your choice
- 2 T (or more) cinnamon
- 1 T (or more) chile powder
- sea salt
- 3 giant heaping T almond butter (or ground flaxseed)
- 1 whole lime (juice, pulp, and ground up rind)
- 2 shots tequila (third shot optional)
- Place chicken breasts in a single layer on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Dump the can of salsa over that. Sprinkle in the cinnamon and chile and paprika (and any other seasonings you might like to add) as well as a few pinches sea salt.
- Evenly distribute the almond butter (or flaxmeal). You may add cocoa powder, too, if you like, but I’ve done this and find it doesn’t make a difference.
- Squeeze in the whole lime, pulp, and ground up rind. Pour in two shots of tequila, take the third for yourself (optional… in fact the tequila is all optional but it really helps).
- Set the slow cooker to ‘low’ and cook for about 7 hours. At the 6.5 hour mark the chicken should easily shred apart with the help of 2 forks. Stir it all back up in the juices.
- I like to serve this either taco style (corn tortilla, avocado, the works) or topped with goat cheese and scooped up with sweet potato chips.
4 thoughts on “Sunday Recipe: Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken”
Most cans of salsa will have sugar. Some will have a shocking amount of sugar, like Newman’s Own (all their stuff is loaded with sugar).
Excellent point. Apart from making your own salsa, I prefer to buy Trader Joe’s Salsa Autentica (medium). No preservatives. No thickening agents. Less than 1g of sugar for every 2T.
I’m going to add that 4lbs of chicken breast with this dish makes quite a large # of servings, but it’s great if you’re trying to prepare food for the week.
Made this for dinner….so goooood! Thanks Elizabeth! I love that Sunday recipes are back 🙂
Aw glad you liked it!!! I can’t wait to see what other people contribute, so I can add new yumminess to my life!