By now you’ve noticed a pattern in the programming… This strength cycle is probably familiar to some of you too. It’s an offshoot of a strength cycle developed from Mark Rippetoe’s Starting Strength (linear strength progression), and one that we have used with minor tweaks in the past. It goes without saying, but we have been following this general format:
- Monday – Squat + shorter metcon
- Tuesday – Heavy Deadlift + shorter metcon
- Wednesday – Longer Metcon + skillwork
- Thursday – Squat, Press + Core Work
- Friday – Power Cleans + shorter metcon
- Saturday – Makeup at 8 and 11am
There is some structure to this 6-7 week cycle, but you should think of it as constant variance with a little bit of guidance. Developing your absolute strength is critical to improving in CrossFit. If your goal is to try and attempt a workout as Rx, then you probably need to get stronger. Approach your strength work with the same intensity and focus that you do with your metcons, and you will see results. We are starting up Week 4 of this strength cycle, and it will only last about 6 total weeks. Beyond that, we will back off (deload), and retest some of our strength numbers. From here on out, recovery and proper fueling are a major priority. The weights are getting heavier, and if you’re feeling beat up you may need to make adjustments to the weight, volume, or rest intervals. If you are used to coming in 5 days in a row, you could try taking a rest day on Wednesday or Thursday and making up your workout on Saturday. You may not realize it, but lifestyle factors such as stress, sleep, nutrition, etc. play a huge role in your performance in metcons and strength gains. Your body needs time to rebuild so that you can get stronger. As we progress in the last few weeks of this cycle, make sure you are listening to your trainers, listening to your body, and working on MOBILITY (in or outside the gym). Ask questions, always. Here’s an oldie but goodie post from our blog that talks a little about pre and post workout nutrition and guidance: Pre and Post Workout Nutrition Strategies So far we (the training staff) have noticed huge improvements with many of you. Keep up the hard work as always, and have fun with your workouts!
Back Squat, 5-5-5-5-5, 5-10# heavier than last week, 70 seconds rest Notes: As weights get heavier, make calculated jumps so that you are able to complete each 5×5 (same weight across all sets).
- Row x 250m
- Kettlebell Swing (70/53) x 15
- Burpee x 25
- Kettlebell Swing x 15
- Row x 250m
Notes: Choose weight on KBS that is challenging but you can complete unbroken. Go for effort on this one.
4th of July Schedule
- We will have only one class at 10am on July 4
- On Saturday (7/5), the 8am class is cancelled. All other classes on Saturday are on a normal schedule (11am CrossFit Make-up, 12pm Essentials/Intro, 12pm Strength).
Schedule Changes to Intro/Essentials and C’ville Strength Take Effect July 7
OTHER IMPORTANT INFO
- Please note that due to the holiday we will not be hosting a “First Friday” potluck at the gym in July.
- Bring-a-Friend Day is Wednesday, July 9. Tell your friends and bring them along for a fun partner workout!