Hey CrossFit Charlottesville!
We are getting close to the end of the year, so we wanted to relay some things that are going to be happening at the start of the new year. In the meantime, I wanted to remind everyone about our end of the year party on December 6! Mark it on your calendars – we’ll have an event up on Facebook soon once we finalize the location and time. We’ll be giving out some awesome prizes and awards, and you might just win one! It will be a good time with friends, and we hope that most of you can make it. And don’t forget about the “Turkey Purger” on Thanksgiving Day!
Please read below as there are some upcoming changes, class additions, and important announcements as we go into the new year!
New Membership System – Front Desk
This is a big one, and we are really excited about it. We have been working hard on transitioning everything in the background, and on December 1 we will fully switch over to a new membership billing system called Front Desk. There will be some changes associated with the move to this new system, but only a couple of small things will affect our members. See the following:
- Sign-ins: Signing in to class will change once we switch over to Front Desk on December 1. Your key card that you were given will no longer work. There will be a few different ways you can sign in for classes.
- You can request a QR code that will be sent to your mobile phone. When you come into the gym, you scan the QR Code at our iPad kiosk and you’re all set.
- You can type in your phone or email on the iPad kiosk when you come into the gym.
- Sign in to class in advance! You can sign in from your computer or from your phone by logging in to your client profile and viewing the schedule of classes. We are going to really be encouraging people to sign in to class in advance, as it will make the whole process run a little smoother. We do not plan to cap any classes at this time, but we want you all to get in the habit of using our system when you can and make the sign-in process run more smoothly.
- Claiming your profile: Once we have everything switched over, you will get a welcome email from us with some more instructions (be on the lookout for that). Your account/profile has already been moved over to Front Desk, but claiming your profile allows you to access to update personal information, update your billing info, and sign in to classes from your phone or computer in advance if you want. So, please claim your profile! One big part of this change is that we are trying to move away from storing paper waivers and memberships, and we can do everything digitally through our new system. You will be asked to sign a digital waiver, and you can even view any signed documents through your profile online!
- We will use the system to better relay info to you all, our members, if we have some sort of special course offering or announcement.
Going forward, we encourage you to sign in to class in advance. This will make the sign in process go quicker and you no longer have to worry about forgetting your card or number when you come to the gym. Once again, be on the lookout for a welcome email from us (sent via MailChimp) with more instructions in the next week or so.
On the back end, this new system is going to make the lives of our staff members much easier, and the changes that are going to affect you all are very minimal. This system will also make it easier for us to stay in contact with you and keep you updated on any special class offerings or changes that happen – communication is key in CrossFit. So, please help us make this a smooth transition by claiming your profile online or using any of the steps above to sign in for classes. If you have any questions at all, email Scott or ask a trainer in the gym.
Class Additions in 2015
You asked, and we listened. Starting in the new year (January 2015), we are going to be adding a couple of new class times each week.
CrossFit – We are adding a 7am time slot to Tuesday and Thursday each week! Depending on attendance, we may look at expanding this class throughout the week as the year goes on. The first class will be scheduled on January 6!
Competition Class – The open is coming up in the early spring, and we are going to be adding a competition prep class every Sunday. The class will start on the first Sunday in January, and run through the open. As far as the class format goes, it will only be open to “competitors” (i.e. those who are planning to participate in the open or want to compete in local competitions like SuperFit, etc.). We’ll have one or more trainers with a lot of competition experience running the class, so it will be a good time to work on your weaknesses or throw down with other people on a competition-style workout. Stay tuned for more info about the timing of this class!
Thanks for your feedback regarding social events. We will continue to try and host events that are a positive addition to our fitness community here in Charlottesville. Also, it’s a ways off, but we will be aiming to do a Charity event in the spring (you might have seen the post about “1,000,000 pounds for charity”). You’ll hear more once we get details ironed out in the beginning of the year.
As always, if you have an idea for a social event or have feedback please email firstname.lastname@example.org!
Going forward into the new year we will be a little more focused on the open, so you’ll see a little more gymnastic movements and oly lifts in the workouts. However, we understand that not everyone is doing the open, and the workouts will continue to be approachable for everyone. The competition class each Sunday is meant to fill the need for a more competition-focused class if this falls in line with your goals. So, as far as the regular programming goes, think of it as another period of variance in the programming. CrossFit is all about constant variance, and we try to do that with a high-level focus attached, so-to-speak.
Open Lifting Area (strength room)
Please do not lift in the strength room during Essentials class times (6:15pm to 7pm on Mondays and Wednesdays). We have had some complaints about noise and distractions, and we want to make sure that new members are in an environment where they can learn without distraction. We also have noticed that the music is being played too loud while classes are going upstairs, and it distracts from the CrossFit class. Please keep the volume to a minimum while classes are going on upstairs. Thanks for understanding!
Also, as a reminder, you can use the lower room to lift on your own when classes are going on (i.e. when the gym is open), just not during the Essentials/Intro class. If you have less than a year of experience, you need to be cleared by a trainer first to use the room on your own, but the option is there if you wanted to add in some bench press once a week or work on your squat outside of class times. If you have questions about this, please email Scott.